Thursday, October 9, 2008

Why do I Homeschool?

Hmm…
Time spent sitting at the table “doing school”(with classical music playing in the back ground): 2 ½ hours.
Time spent at the park playing catch with Dad during his lunch break: ½ hour.
Time spent lying on the grass with my children while eating cookies and reading C.S. Lewis together: 2+ hours.
Time spent doing whatever I wanted while my children created and played with “robot/alien/astronaut” costumes out of tinfoil, boxes, and various odd items: at least 3 hours.
…and that is only part of an average day!

It is widely documented that on average homeschooled students of all ages test higher than public and private school students –regardless of their parent’s education. In light of all the available research (see stats here) it seems that those who send their children to regular brick & mortar schools must have some reason for doing so other than the quality of their children's education. Perhaps both parents must work outside the home, one may have poor health, some may feel unqualified (if so, please re-read the first sentence in this paragraph more closely). Certainly there are some legitimate reasons; many of my friends admit they simply don’t like being around their children for too long, they need more time for themselves. (I commend their ability to look their decision squarely in the face and see it clearly for what it is.)

Another big issue with homeschooling is represented by the question I am most frequently asked, “What about SOCIALIZATION?!”

I have occasionally answered (with a twinkle in my eye) that "We’ve found the perfect solution to all of that… I just beat them up, steal their lunch money, and lock them in the bathroom once a week. Sometimes their dad and I won’t speak to them for a whole day because they were friendly with someone we don’t like, or ‘cause they didn’t dress in-vogue. Don’t worry, we know how important it is for our children to get a real school experience!” :)

In all honesty, no, homeschooled children are not socialized the same way public school students are, instead they are socialized the way the world truly is. Unless the family tries to be hermits they will inevitably socialize. In merely going about your daily life you interact regularly with all ages and in all kinds of situations. When you homeschool you simply take your children along through life with you, daily modeling appropriate socialization with immediate & extended family, neighbors, ecclesiastical leaders, librarians, people in the grocery store etc. All the homeschooled children I know will say “hello” to their siblings in public!! :) No, this is not the same kind of socialization! There are no clicks, negative pressure, or exclusion based on fashion or experience… instead there is love, acceptance, and guidance by those who truly care for their well-being. Homeschooled children still learn to work in a group, accept direction from adults other than their parents, and how to stick to a deadline; but more than all of this, they are allowed to explore, discover, dream, and be themselves. They are generally given a great deal of educational freedom (how shocking!) but studies repeatedly show us that they are more intelligent, creative, and enthusiastic about learning (and, I believe, happier) than their brick & mortar counterparts.

...And people ask me why I homeschool!

4 comments:

Emma said...

Awesome. I love it. Thanks for sharing!

Lance and Eve said...

This is wonderful. Your article was one of the best on home schooling that I have ever come across. Thanks

Sally said...

Awesome! Your socialization comments especially hit home with me as I never had friends in school and was quite ridiculed and tortured.

Anna Ramirez said...

I just tried to edit my comment and it didn't work. What I wanted to say was...
I may have to use the lunch-money stealing, bathroom locking, beating up stories the next time I am asked about socialization. And the next, and the next...