Saturday, December 20, 2008

We No Longer Own a TV

Well, it's official. Our family no longer owns a TV. We sold our large TV and entertainment center to my sister and they came to pick it up today. We took our small one to the thrift store. It honestly feels a little strange... like an old friend has moved out of our house.

My husband and I decided to do this two nights ago when my five-year-old son had a melt down about us watching TV when he went to bed. He has only watched educational DVDs for the last two months. We realized that we were not being consistent, even hypocritical in stating that the children were not allowed to watch TV, but my son could hear us watch it every time he went to bed. Our example is the most powerful thing we can offer our children, and we need to live what we preach.

My son has been thrilled about the TVs absence. He knows that we are going to do family time instead of "turn off your brain time."

We took most of our DVDs to Hastings and got in-store credit to by some books we have wanted. I tried to save only the DVD we felt were classics (that we can watch on the computer.) I did also save some fun children DVDs for long car trips (like the 8 hours to Grandma's for Christmas.)

We bought a book shelf and put it in the entertainment center's place for more books. I feel like we now have a room dedicated to learning, instead of entertaining. It is so Liberating!

2 comments:

Anna Ramirez said...

Emma, That is the most inspirational thing I've read all month! What an example for your family and ours! Thank you for sharing.

Penny said...

My family and I got rid of our tv and internet last summer and after about two weeks of withdrawl it was awesome. We had so much more time to do all the other things we were interested in.
We did end up going back to the tv (and internet obviously) but your post has inspired me to consider and tv fast. Thanks.