Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jump Rope

I had a professor in college once tell me that I was struggling with my tests because I have a "hyper-active" mind. I believed her because I had a tendecy to get very distracted when I was in a classroom, listening to a teacher. Even when I am interested in the subject. So I solved this by doodling the same flowers over and over, up and down the margins of my paper that I was taking notes on. This did wonders for me. I was able to focus my mind on what was being discussed, to the point of almost perfect recall.

My 6-year-old son tends to have the same problem. He has found a way to solve his distracted mind by jump roping instead of doodling. That's right, today he listened to a book on CD (3-4 grade level) while jump roping the whole time. This repetitive action is just what he needs to focus his mind on what he is listening to. I am shocked that he has the ability to do it for 2 hours straight at age 6! He also almost memorizes what he is listening too. He gets very upset if I or one of his sisters opens the door to the room where he is.

I am so grateful that we are able to Home Educate my son. I just can't picture him in a classroom with 30 other 6-years-old being told to stop jump roping, sit down, sit still and do this work sheet!

No comments: