Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lessons found when you get your hands dirty...

Here are so many wonderful lessons that naturally occur when you grow a vegetable garden. Today, with the help of my husband turning the soil, I was able to plant my spring seeds! Yeah! It felt so good to get down and get my hands really dirty and plant some seeds. I can't wait for fresh produce right out of my own garden again. We planted peas, radishes, onion sets, carrots, spinach and 3 kinds of lettuce!

This summer we are planning on pumpkins, cucumbers, zucchini, watermelons, tomatoes, beans, and corn. I know I am squishing a lot into my little raised beds, but I can't help it. I am addicted! Plus, I have learned a trick of training the vining plants to grow up strong supports. So I can squish more in...I call it vertical gardening!

Besides eating great produce, I know that my children will be learning about seasons, how plants grow, nutrition, and the joy of being patient!

No comments: